"Happiness.....it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of the creative effort"

- Vincent Van Gogh



March 25, 2009

They're back!

Every year we've lived in this house the Oriels come to back to nest each spring. There is a very old giant oak tree on the property behind us. This is "home base" for them. I am not sure how many pairs there are, but every year they are here without fail.
How do I know this? Early in the morning (and I mean early), especially for spring break, or summer vacation they are out flying from the big oak in the back.......

.....to this tree in the front! They aren't quiet either. There is a very distinctive chirp they have. Almost as if they are hollering to their friends, "hey, that family is still sleeping, let's get them out of bed!". Of course it doesn't help that our bedroom is right in the flight path............

.....plus the tempting little detours I have set up along the way. The oriels are not like the humming birds. They are very shy. If I am outside (stalking them for a photo) they will fly from tree to tree, or tree to fence, scolding me that I am in their way and I should move!.......

.....eventually hunger wins out and they will land and drink their fill from the humming bird feeders.....
.....first we will just see the males with their bright colors. Late in spring or early summer the females start showing up with the babies.....then they are off for another year. I will be busy now keeping the feeders full! This feeder was full last night so they are definitely hungry little guys!

This is the first bird I've seen this year. I heard him last night, but couldn't see him. Everytime I tried to go out to take a picture he'd fly away, so I finally took these thru our bedroom window!

No comments:

Post a Comment