"Happiness.....it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of the creative effort"

- Vincent Van Gogh



February 9, 2010

just a minute!

ok think for just a second, when was the last time you said this?  Not too long ago probably.  Experience has taught me I am only needed by the children, husband or dog when I am not wherever they are.  Usually I am busy doing something and a mmmmooooooooooommm is hollered across the house or a huuuuuuuuunnnnneeeeeeeeyyyyyy could you come here is heard, maybe faintly, but heard nonetheless.

Sometimes I want to pretend I didn't hear them.  What is it they could possibly need or want?  usually it is toilet paper so that makes it ok.  youtube videos are occasionally intertaining, but not high on my priority list.

When my kids were little they usually needed help getting down from the toilet.  Or a game that couldn't be reached from a shelf.  Sometimes a referee, a blanket that fell out of a crib, another story, or a favorite toy.

Things have changed A LOT.  Now I find lots of free minutes.  Minutes that I spend on the computer or getting sucked mindlessly into TV.  Minutes spent with good books, magazines and cookbooks.  Priceless minutes with the kids and my husband.  Minutes that I would give up and minutes that I treasure.

The other morning I found myself thinking of what I could do in a minute standing infront of the microwave watching 1:10 count down while waiting for my hot chocolate. 

So I thought I would make it a game -

In a minute I can:

load the diswasher
unload the diswasher
start a load of wash
dump clothes in the dryer
pile clothes on the bed
get dressed
feed the dog
gather junk
put away my shoes
clean out my purse
organize receipts
wipe down the kitchen counters
come up with a silly blog idea!

I won't be trying to do these all at once, and I am sure there is lots more I could do but it was just a nice little reminder that I do have free minutes and it is up to me how I use them.....right now I am going to enjoy my cocoa and watch the rain!

4 comments:

  1. Hey you! Glad your back. Missed stalking you regularly on your blog!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Norma is back! I have been missing your blog:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norma I'm glad you're back! I love this post. It makes me want to use my minutes better. Thanks for the inspiration!! It goes right along with something I read in a book today. (Forgive me for geeking out, but I'm going share.)

    "Our time is our life, and whatever it is we are doing with our time, we are paying for it with our life. The challenge of mortality is to manage our time in such a way that what we spend it on is worth our life." from The Joy of the Journey by Ardeth Greene Kapp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea I am back - I got kind of busy and had brain freeze on top of it all!

    Mindy - your quote is EXACTLY what I was trying to say but said much more clearly! I am off to buy that book! xoxo

    ReplyDelete