"Happiness.....it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of the creative effort"

- Vincent Van Gogh



August 7, 2010

his story.....

We all know how well teenage boys plan, right?

If you happen to be in the dark let me enlighten you. 

Plan in any shape or form is not in their vocabulary.  You can search high and low and you will not find it. 

plan [plan]

noun (plural plans)
1. system for achieving objective: a method of doing something that is worked out in advance
2. intention: something that somebody intends or has arranged to do (often used in the plural)
ie:  What are your plans for Saturday?

Now you may occasionaly stumble across the verb form of planning in their thoughts, and then only when  they are planning to eat.  
 
planning
verb (past and past participle planned, present participle plan·ning, 3rd person present singular plans)

1. transitive and intransitive verb work out how to do something: to work out in advance how something is to be done or organized
2. transitive verb intend to do something: to intend to do something, or make arrangements to do something

Because we are all pretty darn sure they wouldn't want to:

plan ahead
intransitive verb
make preparations or arrangements: to make preparations or arrangements for the future

Yep, this is the boat I found myself floating in last week. 

Now don't get me wrong.  I love my son.  However, there are days when I wonder if he has any of my DNA.  I love to plan.  His sister loves to plan.  We write things in colored pencil on the calendar.  We anticipate, count-down.

We PLAN.  pure and simple.

Matthew is a last minute lets figure it out, do I have any clean clothes, gas in the car, have to work kinda kid.  Makes me crazy.

So for months MONTHS we have known that his waterpolo team was going to the National Junior Olympics.  Something you might plan for right?  For weeks I had been running the commentary...."are you going?"......"do you have the time off work?"......"how are we going to work it out?"...."who will you stay with in the hotel?"  And the only feedback I got was....."I think I am going to work, so I can make more money". 

So being the kind of person I am....I made other plans!  Then 24 hours before it all goes down....Matthew plans on participating.  The darn kid is lucky he's still alive.



Plan or no plan it all worked out in the end.  
They came in 19th place in the Gold Division for the Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment